The World Turns To Ice

Saturday 14 May 2011

The Bumble Bee



Yesterday I found a bee, a bumble bee, life had quite flown from it.  I don't know why I picked it up and brought it home. I placed it upon a piece of crumpled soft white paper and put it on the kitchen windowsill so that I could look at it as I worked. It wasn't even a ghost of itself.  It was an empty shell, an empty shell shrouded in sadness as its beauty lingered.  I touched the velvet of its back and the fragility of its transparent wings. Now it can only decay.  I can capture it on film or a drawing but I cannot breathe life back into its form.  It has gone forever.
   Today I walked in the Greenwood along the path through the tunnel of trees.  The wind roared through the treetops creating a malevolence that was palpable.  I shivered but not from the cold.  There was a presence, as if a thousand tiny eyes were watching me and there were rustlings in the undergrowth and odd creepings through the vines.  A robin watched me warily from a branch and a blackbird with a beak full of grubs for its young stopped in her tracks.  A tiny rabbit, new to the world, fled down a bank in fear as I walked along the path.  Then crack, a cumbersome pigeon defying gravity shot into the air like a cannon ball and flew up the rise barely missing the top of my head.  I drew in a sharp breath and made for a sunny clearing to escape from  intruding irrational thoughts.
    Tomorrow I shall wrap the bumble bee in a shroud of muslin and carry him back to the Greenwood and hide him under a pall of dry brown leaves.  I shall have given the Greenwood back her own.  The spell will be broken and peace restored.  We are never far from enchantment if we have the eyes to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment